Monday, May 22, 2006

Monday Musings

I have the aternoon to myself for a change, and what do I do, I spend it fiddling with my blogger template. It's not exactly fixed, but better than it was. There's still a huge amount of space between the post below this one and the one that follows. I'm hoping it will straighten itself out after several posts. Or at least push them onto another page. Sigh. If it's not one thing it's another.

Anyway, I spent the morning working on my novel; it's getting there. I'm hoping I can tie up all the loose ends in this last third. I wanted to have the first draft done by June 1, so the clock is ticking. I'm pleased with the progress I've made so far. I think it's safe to say that there are plenty of cliffhangers to keep me busy. However, the last day of school is Wednesday, and then I'll have CWGIII home while I try to write and work, so it will be a juggling act. I do plan on enjoying the summer with him, so I may be putting in some long hours at night. What do you do when the story is running rampant in your brain, fighting to get out, gnawing at your consciousness til you think you're going to scream if you don't get back to it? My sister was right. Until I get this novel done, I'm livin' in a fantasy world. She thinks it's a coping mechanism. I think it's me fighting to become who I was meant to be. What do you think?

I've also been tinkering with my writing method -- changing the location of my work space and the atmosphere. I haven't tried writing with mood music, which I read some other authors do. Somehow I don't think the theme music to General Hospital counts. In general, my best work comes with complete silence and my laptop out of sight of any scenery or exterior distractions, which is very difficult to achieve during the daytime. Today I'm writing from the den, with a t.v. tray serving as a makeshift desk. Usually I have a cup of coffee, sometimes two, to fuel the plot.

It's almost impossible to try to write when the family is home. One wants my attention, which he well deserves; the other wants the computer, which I reluctantly surrender with a grudge.
I find myself shhshing them when they interrupt me at critical points, then feeling guilty about it later. I know that to them it is a hobby --a sideline, fun time for mommy. I know that I am the only one that is taking this seriously, maybe even too seriously. I got my family. I got my home. Now I just want the dream. Is that so bad? If Beneath the Ivy Wreath is ...the frustrating rollercoaster of a middle class mother's struggle to keep her sanity while attempting to establish herself as a serious writer and juggle her hopes and dreams to the backdrop of her daily grind, then what do you call my work in progress? --I can't wait to call it "finished." Stay tuned friends.

15 comments:

Tennessee Mama Duck said...

I've just found you through Tennessee Bloggers from tnchick!

I'm so curious! What kind of book are you writing?! Can you say?

I have a passion to write in my future. For now, I'm teaching my little ones (ages 9, 5 and almost 4)! Someday I'll have my chance...

C. H. Green said...

It's a Christian suspense novel, my first. Don't wait til you think you have the time. MAKE TIME FOR YOUR SELF AND YOUR DREAMS. Even if it's just a few minutes each night, it adds up. Thanks for stopping by.

Tennessee Mama Duck said...

I know! It just seems impossible to gather my thoughts right now! Blogging is about all I can do!

Ooooo..Christian suspense! I love it! I would LOVE to read it someday!!

hollibobolli said...

Oh do I agree with you on this point - I can not write even the smallest thing with my family around.. PERIOD. Let alone a novel!!

But to stay home and make that goal a reality.. sigh. SIGH!!!

C. H. Green said...

Making it a reality --that's happening. But how do you manage to do it without feeling guilty about the dishes in the sink and the unmade beds. Sigh. I did get the dryer fixed, so it's back to washing and folding laundry. :(

Diane Viere said...

I am staying tuned girlfriend! I wouldn't miss the grand finale--can't wait! The journey has been so amazing! I think there's a book in that myself!

I've been reading about blogger get-to-gethers.........I'm ready to visit Paris, Tennessee! If you're ever in Minneapolis--let me know! Maybe Lisa should meet us too! There are so many blogging friends that I would like to meet someday--maybe we can all meet at your book-signing party!!!!!!!

I like THAT idea!

Diane

Anonymous said...

Hello! Thanx for stopping by my blog! I will check in with you from now on!

C. H. Green said...

Oh Diane, I LOVE that idea! Just let me get my house cleaned up first! I haven't posted about it, but my dryer went on the fritz over the weekend, and we have clothes strung everywhere. Got it fixed today, though, thank goodness. I have never been to Minneapolis, but I'd love to go there, soon as it gets warm. LOL

rena said...

I'm a huge fan of the written word...never knew how much fun it would be visit blogs and enjoy the writings of so many other's...and now to find a real live novelist amoung us!! Cartwheels and sommersaults! Thanks for stopping by mine...will definitely be back to yours.

Rena

Lei said...

Hang in there! The labor is worth the love is worth the labor!

Anonymous said...

You're almost there Cindy. I know it's difficult to complete with family duties, but you are doing so well.

Sorry for your HTML problems. I wish I knew enough to help. There are several html writing sites that I use, and I am slowly learning. I tinker with mine, but make sure I back it up, in case I mess something up, which I've done before. :-)

BTW, all your comments show up automatically under your posts. I thought it was my Firefox, but it does it in IE also. Was this something done on purpose? I don't recall seeing it displayed like that before on your site.

Anonymous said...

Sorry, one more thing. Have you considered trying a different theme? Some themes seem to work better than others, in my experience. I've switched themes before, and some of them really put my blog out of wack. Just a thought.

C. H. Green said...

No, the comments were hidden before, and I don't know how to fix it back. I wanted to change themes, but was afraid I'd lose all my posts. I don't mind losing the side bar, but I don't want to lose all my posts.

cass said...

I know what you mean about fiddling with the Blogger template. Sometimes it's an obsessive need to procrastinate! :) Thanks for commenting on my recent blog entry. Good luck with finishing your novel.

Lala's world said...

hey thanks for checking out my blog.....you are writing a book??!! wow that is so cool!!! I have a hard time just sitting down and blogging without a thousand interuptions!!