Thursday, January 19, 2006

Awakening

September 11 was especially sad to me. I had just lost my mom to breast cancer in August, had been sitting around in a daze for weeks, when this horrendous tragedy unfolded on my TV screen. Knowing the grief that my mom's death had brought me, I had a keen sense of what would follow for these families in the days and weeks to come. My heart was broken. I began to write poetry again for the first time in years. I posted this one on Poetry.com when they were calling for poems to memorialize 9/11. Just thought I'd share it with you guys tonight.

Awakening

Beneath this rubble lies the spirit
Of America.
Rumbling, mumbling as she is
Suddenly stirred from her slumber.
As the one who is frightened awake by a sound
And not knowing exactly from whence
It comes, she moves to investigate.
She is Armed and ready to defend her house
For she knows it was not just the wind
Blowing through the trees...
It was evil that brought this sound
This sound of weeping
This sound of sorrow...
And The commander's cries--
Shouts of War
All from bended knees.

©CHG
September 15, 2001
In Memory of those who lost their lives in the terrorist attack on America September 11, 2001

No comments: