Wednesday, June 21, 2006

To Live is Christ--To Die is Gain

I suppose it's my family's situation that has me preoccupied with Heaven these days. Every time I think of my Granny leaving, I have to remind myself of the celebration that awaits her. I can't begrudge her those long -awaited rewards. I smile, myself, when I think of the fact that she will get to see Mom again, and soon. And even though I feel sorry for myself, I think, Wow, Granny will finally get to see Jesus. All those questions about life will be answered for her. She'll know what it sounds like when the angels cry, "Holy, Holy, Holy." She will be whole again. Her hands won't be gnarled from arthritis, and her legs won't be crippled. She might even be so happy that she takes off doing the Charleston. I know I would be. There won't be any diabetes, emphysema, or COPD. There won't be sorrow or pain. I wonder if she even remembers what it's like to have a day completely without pain. And even with all her physical problems, that woman can work circles around me. I'm sure her labors have not gone unnoticed in the annals of Heaven. There will be recorded there acts that none of us even know about. I imagine her looking around her new home in awe. I imagine her throwing her crown at her Savior's feet.
And yes, I can almost hear Him say, "Well done, Marie. Well done."

10 comments:

tam said...

How beautiful this is. Could you read this to her?

Maybe you've already said it but my oh my what a vision!

Anonymous said...

That is a nice post, and I agree with Tam; you should read this to her. It will give her comfort.

I am a very faithful person myself, but I still yet have a fear of the unknown. I know that contradicts my faith, but to be honest, there is fear of dying in me. I honestly don't know why, because I know there is a better place waiting for me. Does that make sense?

Diane Viere said...

Cindy---Beautiful! I am so sorry for the loss you are feeling--but am so thankful that God has given you the peace to know--that Granny is going to her eternal home. And I'm especially glad that she will be there....with your mom.

BTW--the tribute is outstanding--I will e-mail you more.

Diane

C. H. Green said...

We've talked about the homecoming she will have with all her family. It made her smile. She's instructed us to keep the family together and to take care of each other. And to meet her there. I told her how proud I was that my son got to know her. (She's his special Tic-Tac-Toe partner.)

C. H. Green said...

Mike,
I think we all have a dread of the final moments. Just not knowing about the crossing over. Will it be painful? Will we suffer? How will those we leave behind handle it? There are so many questions. But I was there when my mom and dad both passed,and my mother-in-law. And I know that I would not call any of the three back to the sickness they were enduring. And I feel the same about Granny. As long as I know that she has things in order with her Creator, I can accept this. It's not goodbye...it's see you later.

Sonya said...

Cindy,

How beautiful. You're so right, it is see you later. Your granny sounds like a very special person.

Karla said...

What a sweet and beautiful post. I can't imagine if we didn't have that hope.

rena said...

Simply beautiful. May a peace that passes all understanding fill your heart and mind. Blessings.

Shelley L. MacKenzie said...

This is definately a beautiful tribute to you grandmother.

Cindy said...

Back in November my grandfather passed away. I had gotten the dreaded phone call the night before saying they did not expect him to live much more than a day or two so I was making preparations for a quick trip to Maine to see him one last time. As far as I knew he was not saved. The next morning as I was making plans to leave for Maine, the thought, "It's a good day to go to heaven" went through my mind. I looked at my watch and saw that it was 9:15 am. 20 minutes later I got another phone call- Gramp had passed away at 9:15 am. at precisely the same time I had had that thought about it's being a good day to go to Heaven. I hoped that he was saved but I did not know. After hearing that he had passed on I left work and went home. I'd only been a home a few minutes when the phone rang- it was my aunt and during our conversation she told me that Gramp had indeed been saved. Praise God! While I still feel sad that he's gone and I still miss him, knowing that he's with the Lord took away the sting of losing him. It's a priceless legacy for those who go on, to leave their loved ones with the knowledge that they are with the Lord in Heaven. I'm glad that you too will have that legacy.