Friday, April 28, 2006

Festival Time in the Tennessee

Here in the South, we love our local festivals. In my neck of the woods, we have The World's Biggest Fish Fry, The West Tennessee Strawberry Festival (in my hometown, Humboldt), The Dresden Iris Festival, The Trenton Teapot Festival, The Bradford Doodle Soup Days, and a host of others.

My son and I have just come in from The World's Biggest Fish Fry parade. This is an annual festival put on in our town every year at the end of April. Most years it rains, but we got lucky and had the rain earlier in the week. I now sport my first sunburn of the season. But we had a blast watching the bands, floats, horses, and fancy cars go by. And of course we had cotton candy and corn dogs. Tonight we will go to the fairgrounds and probably eat catfish at the fish tent and ride the rides at the carnival. I don't ride the rides, but I enjoy the smells, sights, and sounds of people enjoying themselves.

If you have time, visit the link above and find out why Paris, Tennessee is home to The World's Biggest Fish Fry. And if you're ever in our neck of the woods in April, make plans to attend. We're 15 minutes from the Tennessee River where you can camp, swim, boat, and fish to your heart's content. Saturday my son will participate with his dad in the Fishing Rodeo, and perhaps the Catfish races on the courthouse lawn. And of course, if you love catfish, hushpuppies, slaw, and fries, then we have the best around. After all, we've been cooking over 12,ooo lbs. of fish that week every year since 1953. We oughta have it down pat by now, don't ya think?

6 comments:

Diane Viere said...

If I'm ever in your neck of the woods....I'm stopping at your house first...and expect the grand tour of the World's Biggest Fish Fry!!!!!

Sounds like fun!

Diane

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

It sounds like fun. I lived in Nashville for 2 years back in the late 80s. Tennessee is beautiful country. I don't know how far Nashville is from where you are, but if I still lived there, you'd bet I'd be a fish fryin'. :-)

Anonymous said...

My father was born and raised in Tennessee.

Your festival sounds like a really fun time. Hope you get to eat lots of yummy fish.

Take care,
Connie

C. H. Green said...

CWGIII and his daddy are going to the fishing rodeo today. Hope they catch alot!

Anonymous said...

Never had Catfish, but I LOVE hushpuppies. When I'm on my book tour, I'll remember to stop in to The World's Biggest Fish Fry.

Have a great day!

Jade