Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Little Eyes and Big Ears

My son came home from school this week talking about his girlfriend Sarah Grace. My son is six. He is in kindergarten. He frequently tells me he has at least three girlfriends. Sarah Grace is his favorite--at school. He has a different favorite at church. Men.

I hadn't really thought about how much my grumbling and complaining had really affected him until this week. My husband and I have talked openly about our financial situation and our job situation and all sorts of things--in front of him. We especially talk about our finances when we go to Wal-Mart, and the subject of new toys comes up. Seems my son always has money but never brings it with him. They learn fast. His granddaddy and great grandparents and other family members are always handing him cash. We've talked about hard times so much lately that I fear he is becoming a hoarder. In fact, we have talked--let me rephrase that--I have talked entirely too much.

We were discussing his relationship with this little Sarah Grace when my son says to me,
"You know what I told her mom?"

"No, son. What did you tell her?

"I told Sarah Grace that she could be my wife. But that I don't want her hollering at me about not having any money, because I got plenty of money."

Oh the shame.

My next question: "When did you have this discussion?"

"At school today."

"In front of the teacher?"

"No, I don't think she was listening."

Whew ...

Ms. Tiffany may not have been listening, but I know a little boy that sure was. God help me to be a better role model for my son. Help me to be a better wife to my husband and stop putting all the blame on his shoulders. God help me to watch what I say and how I say it, for it is shaping the life of a future husband and father. I want my son to remember us being content with the blessings of life that we do have. I don't want him to remember a bitter old woman who harped on money--or the lack of it. When my miracle arrives, you can bet I will praise You in front of Him. My son will know from whence cometh my help. My son will know who his provider is. The buck stops here.

4 comments:

someone else said...

Ouch! Very good reminder.

And adorable-sounding son!

Rachel Starr Thomson said...

Great post. You're so right about needing to be content with the blessings of the present. I know where you're coming from because we've been very, very down on money at times in our family life... not easy, but we definitely see the hand of God throughout.

Unfortunately my books won't all be arriving until May, it looks like, but at that point anyone would be welcome to join me in reading them :). I wish I really could throw a "conference." It would be fun, although I don't know that we'd learn much... too busy talking.

Diane Viere said...

I have goose-bumps! Or as a dear friend of mine calls them--God-bumps! Once again, you have written a beautiful post! You amaze and inspire me!

Diane

Mary said...

It is so hard for me to be aware of my attitude and how I talk to my husband. It's interesting how easy it is to be kind to everyone but him. (I don't have children, otherwise, I'll bet I'd have trouble with them sometimes as well!)

You've given me something to chew on!