Friday, April 14, 2006

Progress

Chapters 12 and 13 are behind me for the time being, and I'm mulling over 14 this morning. It feels good to finally be out of the rut and have my groove back. The last two days have been most enjoyable. I guess you noticed that on the days I am most productive, no posting goes on here. Thanks for the couple of calls I got checking on me though. It was nice to be missed in such a sweet way. It's nice to know I have regular readers.

Chapter 13 seems a bit abrupt. It's one of my shortest chapters. I begin second guessing myself over this. Why include it at all, if it is that short? (about 1250 words). It may well be one of those parts of the book that hits the cutting room floor in the end. I don't know. I just keep moving along. Thank you for all the encouraging comments here. It's good to know that some of you have experience in this area and can offer great advice.

I'm dealing with the parents of poor Elizabeth in this chapter. In a former chapter, they have set off for Jamaica on a tourist's tip that Beth was seen walking the beaches there in the company of a Rastafarian native. I can't say that this idea was totally original. Most of you have seen the footage of Natalee Holloway's parents in Aruba searching desperately for their missing daughter who was there on Spring Break in May of last year. It is a story that grieves my heart every time I see an update on it. However, the similarities to that story stop there. Elizabeth Merriweather's circumstances are altogether different. And, as the reader knows, Beth is nowhere near the Caribbean. I think my writing must be influenced by my late night television habits including Nancy Grace, CSI, and Law & Order. Forensic Files is another favorite, but I have had to quit watching that at night due to the nightmares that follow. (That's why I tend to flip over to Will & Grace, which my husband deems trash. And while I tend to agree, I can't help but laugh my butt off at the antics of the big busted alcoholic Karen. I have been known to wake Stan...ummm..my husband up with my laughter.)

I'm rambling again. Leave me some posts and let me know what your favorite late night shows are. Maybe I'm missing out on some good ones.

1 comment:

Sonya said...

LOL! I love to watch Nancy Grace. She's just so interesting. And Will & Grace always made me laugh. I cut back on my television watching because I noticed I would use it to deal with stress.

Things would get hectic and I would 'veg out' in front of the television late at night for two or three hours.

I decided to cut back to just basic television and use that watching time to write or do something.

It is so hard! I'd much rather sit on the couch and watch television.

And, no, I don't mind if you link to my blog.

I love coming over here and seeing what you've posted. God uses your blog in my life.

Still praying for you and your family : - )