Wednesday, November 22, 2006

What's in a Name?


A simple way to praise another is to add a title when you address them; one that describes a quality trait or attribute of their status. The Psalmist spoke of God as Jehovah-Elyon, the Lord most high. Not a polished paragraph of accolades, just a simple addition to the name Jehovah. The meaning is one that parallels the commandment; “thou shall not have any other god before me”. There is none higher than God.

“I will praise the Lord according to His righteousness; and will sing praise to the name of the Lord most high.” Ps.7:17

I have taken the first three words of this verse and used them for my screensaver. I find it helpful to remind myself to praise. In Sunday morning services, it is easy. When everything is running smoothly, it is easy. When I have extra money to spend, it is easy. You get the point. You all know the opposite of these times; Monday mornings, rough times, and the day just before payday. These are the times when I need a reminder.

Lately, those reminders have come in the study of the names of God. Jehovah-Elyon has been a perfect addition to my prayers, for it reminds me of how all of my problems are beneath the LORD MOST HIGH. None are greater than He.

The Psalmist gives another reminder in Psalms 100:4. “Enter into His gates with thanksgiving, and into His courts with praise; Be thankful unto Him and bless His name.”


The Apostle Paul adds; “In everything give thanks; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you.”

Instead of saying have a Happy Thanksgiving, I say give your THANKS HAPPILY! Remember to PRAISE! PT2006

3 comments:

Diane Viere said...

Perfect! I have so enjoyed your posts (PT2006). I hope that you and yours have a blessed Thanks-happily!

Cindy--I daily THANKS-happily for knowing you!

Diane

Dave said...

Happy Thanksgiving!

Happy Praisegiving!

Anonymous said...

Happy Thanksgiving.

http://z6.invisionfree.com/denominations