Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Passport Requirements

Today's post is brought to you by my sister, PT2006.

Are you a world traveler? If you are then you know more about the process of obtaining a passport than I do. I did make a couple of missions trips many years ago, so I had a passport at one time. As I recall, I had to have my birth certificate, social security card, a recent photo, a couple of witnesses, and a notary public. There were fees to be paid as well.

Traveling to another country takes lots of preparation. Some things need to be done months ahead of time. Others can be done just before you leave the house. Regardless of how many preparations you make, you will be denied entrance to your destination if you fail to have your valid passport in your possession.

"...give diligence to make your calling and election sure: for if you do these things, ye shall never fall: for such an entrance shall be ministered unto you abundantly into the everlasting Kingdom of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ." II Peter 1:10

Our calling and election is a two way street. God has done the calling and electing, and we have to do the making sure. In the Greek, to make something sure carries the idea of validating a document. The Bible speaks of a testimony being authenticated by the presence of two witnesses. Our Christian testimony is our passport, and requires nothing less.

The Apostle Paul speaks of God's Spirit bearing witness with our spirit that we are His children. This would be the required birth certificate and the Trinity our required witnesses. The following are the requirements to which Peter was referring to as "these things": faith, virtue, knowledge, temperance, patience, godliness, brotherly kindness, and charity. Perhaps these could be the the recent photo needed for obtaining our passport.
Lastly, the fees or the cost. What about them? Jesus paid them! We just have to keep our receipt.

I am bound for another country, whose builder and ruler is God. I have my passport and it has been validated. Has yours?

2 comments:

Dawn said...

Very good thoughts - sometimes I can hardly wait to go!!

I loved yesterday's post also. Good transparency.

Saija said...

"I am bound for another country, whose builder and ruler is God. I have my passport and it has been validated. Has yours?"

yes ... and this Easter is another time to be thankful that God made it all possible!