Monday, March 31, 2008

Puzzle in Progress

Last night I managed to pound out about 1,000 more words for Rose Hill. It was nearly 2 a.m. when I finally cast the old laptop aside and went to bed, the story still strong and fresh and beckoning me. When this urge hits me, I find it almost impossible to ignore, despite the need for sleep. There is an urgency to spill the words from within onto a page, to see them in concrete terms, to be able to read them aloud for once. Until then, they seem to be just a jumble of disconnected scenes popping up into my subconscious. I know what I'm supposed to say. The puzzle lies in how to say it.puzzle

And I've always been one to love puzzles. This time it is taking shape a bit awkwardly. Instead of fitting all the border pieces first and filling in, I am finding many of the missing middle pieces that match and putting them together. The first novel was written from beginning to end in sequential order. Rose Hill seems to be coming in scenes, none of which follow the outline. But, I tell myself, that's okay. The important thing is to get it all out and into files. Then I can rearrange it and play with it and put it into some semblance of a novel.

If you've followed my turtle-like progress over the past year, you know I have fought my feelings of inadequacy. You know I have struggled with subject matter and whether to deal delicately with the demons or just proclaim all out war on them. This one is going to be a long labor, but I'm hoping that when the "dust" settles, there will be something left worthy of the craft. I will keep you posted. Thank you for not giving up on me. Smile****

1 comment:

Diane Viere said...

My friend,

Let me remind you about those demons...it doesn't matter if you whisper or you whoop.....you are still breaking the silence. Perhaps for literary terms, it would be best to ease on in...ease on in! Provides suspense....and all. A good read never tells the reader....it lets the reader discover....you know.

I will be praying protection over you as you release these demons onto page. Fit yourself with God's armor before you set one finger to the key! And remember, you are covered in His grace, His mercy, and His Promise! He will be your strength in all of your weakness. It's a promise.

I'm glad you are tackling this once again--I know time is short...and wouldn't it be fabulous to go on retreat for three months and just nail this down! Maybe in our next life! That is...maybe after Chase is in college....and you have retired! Need to plan to stay busy!

Keep working though--and I love that the muse has struck again! Stay with it! It's your friend!

Diane