Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Novel Update

Finished Chapters 9 and 10 today, and I must say I am quite pleased with where the story is headed. I have about 24,000 words, so I am roughly halfway through the entire novel. I know there are a million details I will need to iron out, but just getting the framework down is satisfying. Twenty-four thousand words, who knew I had so much to say? I feel like I am behind in my schedule. The sickness put me behind, but what's the rush? I guess there is none. My tentative finish date is a year from the starting point, and before I turn 41. Why that is important, I have no idea. I just want to know that my 40th year has been spent accomplishing at least one of my lifelong dreams. Purely selfish, mind you. But I will not know if I have what it takes if I do not try. And so, on I write.

CWG, Jr. seems impressed with the effort. He's read the ten chapters, and says, "For fiction, it's not bad. It kept my attention." Coming from him, that is quite the compliment. He doesn't read fiction at all. He prefers motivational nonfiction and biography. I find it helpful to get a male layman's opinion. After all, you want a broad readership. Rusty is helping me with the legalese, which is one of my many weak points. I keep second guessing my characters' actions. I think it's because I haven't lived with them long enough. As I read back through the first draft I see a million and one things I want to change. But all in due time. I'm just glad I've gotten back to it. It's like visiting a long lost friend...fairly easy to pick up right where you left off, but at the same time, you have to go back and recap a bit.

Tomorrow begins the third quarter. Let's hope it's a productive day. Talk to you later guys. Happy writing Lisa, Diane, JL, Porch, Dave, March, and all you other happy bloggers out there. Keep posting, so I will have fresh inspriation. Love to all.

2 comments:

Lisa said...

Hi Cindy!
How are ya doing? You sound much better! I'm anxious to read your novel!!!
And don't forget about the Notebored!! You should have received an email with a new code that works!! I'm curious to know if you could get registered. I just know you'd like it there!

Keep on a writing!!!
ps-any trial products that I can try??

Diane Viere said...

Hi Cindy....

DID YOU SEE? DID YOU SEE? DID YOU SEE? I linked Beneath the Ivy Wreath to my blog. Now, that rolled off the tongue quite easily, but let me tell you---this techno-illiterate, middle-aged momma had to work hard to make it happen! I think I've permanently rearranged parts of my side bars...but it was worth it....You and Life according to Lisa are linked!

Thanks for stopping in...and for the prayers!

Diane