Wednesday, October 17, 2007

WW Lessons in Song

I have been feeling kind of nostalgic lately. Feeling my age and looking back over my life. Some of my fondest memories are of my days in Children's Church and VBS. Singing songs and quoting Bible verses were the main ingredients of such services. The tunes were primarily biblical and most were action songs that were a lot of fun. The following were two of my favorites.

Zacchaeus was a wee little man and a wee little man was he. He climbed up in a sycamore tree, for the Lord to see. As the Saviour passed that way, He looked up in the tree. And He said, "Zacchaeus, you come down from there; for I'm going to your house for tea."

The story is referenced in Luke 19:1-10. I thought it was so neat how a short little man would climb a tree just to see Jesus. And I wondered why he just didn't run around the crowd and wait ahead of it for Jesus to pass. More fascinating than that is the fact that Jesus would stop the parade to talk to someone that no one else liked.

Sometimes it takes some effort on our part in order to see Jesus. Often times we have to distance ourselves from those around us, in order to see clearly. Secondly, He will always make Himself known to those who truly seek Him. Thirdly, obedience is the key to a lasting relationship with Him.

Naaman went down, to the river to dip. Naaman went down, to the river to dip. Naaman went down to the river to dip, and he dipped and he dipped and he dipped and he dipped. All his sins were washed away, washed away.

This little ditty finds its roots in II Kings 5:1-15. Yet another song about obedience. Guess they were teaching that principle without us even knowing it. (smile) I remember getting out of breath trying to do all 7 of those dips. Probably would have been much easier to do them in the river. Ahhhh I digress.

There were several things working for Naaman. First, his wife had a maid that knew of a prophet. Secondly, he had another servant that didn't mind telling him what was being discussed in his wife's chambers. Thirdly, he knew of the king of Israel and felt that it was worthwhile to contact him regarding a cure for his leprosy.

Funny how he was willing to take a chance on the King, but unwilling to go to the Jordan. And what about his pride? Certainly that stood in the way of his miracle and he didn't even know it. But at the humble urging of his servant, he followed the prophet's instructions. Not only was he healed, but he became a believer that day. He publicly acknowledged that there was no other god but the God of Israel.

I'm not sure I learned all of that just from singing the songs. But the songs were seeds planted in my soul. Seeds that sprouted as I heard the stories in Sunday School. Seedlings that grew as I listened to the sermons about Zacchaeus and Naaman. Trees that developed as I studied the scriptures for myself. Timbers selected for the foundation of my life and ministry.

So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God. Romans 10:17

2 comments:

C. H. Green said...

Just goes to show you that what we teach our children does have a life long impact. I remember the same things...and I treasure my heritage. Another great post, sis!

Anonymous said...

I have a tape with many songs that the grandkids like.
I see the kids remembering the words.And later they will learn the stories.

Wish I would have had songs like these when I was a tot.