Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Long and Winding Road

New novel progress is stalled. Work on first novel proposal stalled. Most writing attempts stalled due to exhaustion that is tending to stifle my creativity at this point. I am beginning to understand why I waited 40 years to start writing on a serious level. In order to do it right, you almost have to do it full time. I know there are writers out there that are sucessfully selling their books who have written them in sporadic intervals between other full time endeavors and homemaking. I know it is possible. In fact, whenever I get settled back into a nice work routine and am not having all this night work to get done, then I feel that I will get back to the odyssey.

I am concerned that Jack and Ellen (two of my new characters) are losing their appeal for me. I outlined this novel like last time, though. And I'm wondering if maybe I shouldn't have. I know where the story' s going and where it will end. So I fear some of the magic has been lost. I'm having trouble with the in between and the fleshing out. Maybe it's just that I haven't spent enough time with them yet. Or is it that old reluctance to deal with the themes? I know I'm not quite ready to trash it, because I thought I left one of my journals in a hotel room recently that had an entire chapter in it. And I just about went haywire. I later found the journal in my nightstand drawer where I had looked a thousand times.

Thank you, Diane, for sending me that great package this week. I have had a little time to thumb through the magazines, but can't wait until I can devour them. It was so nice of you to think of me on your trip. I saw some great titles about finding and landing agents that I want to read. I am such an amateur at all of it. I need all the help I can get.

Thank you to all of you who still stop by, even when I haven't updated. I will try to do better with my posting. Tune in tomorrow for sis's Worship Wednesday post. She has some really good ones coming up.

No comments: