Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Memorial of Worship

Worship Wednesday by: Sista Cala

Acts of worship are as numerous as the stars in the heavens. Bowing down or lifting hands, these are some of the most basic forms of worship. Covenants and ceremonies can also be considered acts of worship. Even celebrations of victory and promotions can be geared as worship services to honor God who enabled the advancement.

In recognition of today, what would have been my mother's 67th birthday, I offer this post as an act of worship. The Lord God Almighty was her love and her life. She was a saint, a true soldier of the gospel. She loved people, even those who most would shun. She was much like the widow and her mite. Even on a fixed income, mama would always come up with something to give when another was in need. Sometimes it was money; other times it would be some home-canned tomato juice or green beans. Always with a smile, hug, and prayer.

I give God the glory for the testimony of my mama. When she was sick, He healed her body. When she was broke, He moved on others to meet her need. When she was weary, He gave her strength to continue on her way. In times of sorrow, He comforted her. When her heart was broken, He would gently hold her in His arms and console her. He was her Rock in a weary land, her strong tower, her shield, and her hiding place. I thank God for the prayers of my mama. She always prayed for us, even in her last days on this earth.

This post is meant to be a celebration of the everlasting life the Lord has granted to my mother. It is all about Him. Often I thank Him for giving me a godly heritage. I thank Him for the many answered prayers and the memories of how He showered His favor upon Mama. Yes there were tears of sorrow when she left this earth. But it is such a comfort to know that I will see her again. God has promised a crown of life to those who overcome. I thank Him for making it possible for me to be an overcomer.

It is by His blood: believing that He died and rose again, and by the words of our testimony that we overcome. I am saved by His wonderful grace. I live to give Him glory as I tell His story. The psalmist gives us a few elements to include in our worship.

Psalms 116:13-19
13I will take the cup of salvation, and call upon the name of the LORD.
14I will pay my vows unto the LORD now in the presence of all his people.
15Precious in the sight of the LORD is the death of his saints.
16O LORD, truly I am thy servant; I am thy servant, and the son of thine handmaid: thou hast loosed my bonds.
17I will offer to thee the sacrifice of thanksgiving, and will call upon the name of the LORD.
18I will pay my vows unto the LORD now in the presence of all his people.
19In the courts of the LORD's house, in the midst of thee, O Jerusalem. Praise ye the LORD.

No comments: